Heatsink for ESP32

deepakt

Heatsink for ESP32

Postby deepakt » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:32 am

Hi ESP'ians!

I'm developing a product using ESP32 and I hear concerns from other product developers about heating issues on ESP32 and following resets that happen on the chip. I'm strongly adviced to have very good heat sinking and ventilation for the boards.

I have been searching a lot but I haven't been able to find a way to use a heatsink on the ESP32. Closest I could get is a fan mounted on top of the ESP32, but no contact-based heat sink.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience on using a heatsink on the ESP32 - fan based or contact based? What would be best suited?

Regards,
Deepak

ESP_Sprite

Re: Heatsink for ESP32

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 am

Can you tell me in which scenarios you're told this is needed? Because unless you abuse the ESP32 (as in: go outside of the absolute maximum specs by e.g. powering it from 5V) or put the ESP32 in extreme conditions (thermally extremely isolated in an environment that's already >100C), the ESP32 doesn't need a heat sink.

deepakt

Re: Heatsink for ESP32

Postby deepakt » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 am

That's great then. I'll just use a good small heat exhaust fan in the cabinet to ensure there's good ventilation just in case because our products will be outdoors as well.

Thanks for your inputs! Makes me feel a little more confident now atleast with the heat and operational issues!

Regards,
Deepak