USB Debugging ESP32-C6 in VSCode on MacOS

0xDEADBEEF

USB Debugging ESP32-C6 in VSCode on MacOS

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:28 am

Hello!

I am absolutely struggling to get debugging properly set up in VSCode on MacOS with the ESP32-C6. I've spent a day trying to follow the guide here: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... index.html

"openocd -f board/esp32c6-builtin.cfg" starts fine with the expected output, however following the guide for setting up vscode, that outlines multiple ways of setting up VSCode, it turns out exactly none of those work, and all of them fail at some point and without in depth knowledge about how the system is supposed to work I find it impossible to trouble shoot. I've tried fixing every single one of them but eventually gave up.

I would be absolutely fine with using the recommended Eclipse CDT GDB Debug Adapter, however the install instructions for that are very sparse, I eventually installed it by running

Code: Select all

npm i cdt-gdb-adapter
and I have no clue if this is the right package because the guide does not include any instructions, and if you open the provided link there is also no install instructions. However after inserting the recommended launch.json it becomes evident that just running npm i is insufficient, because the debug type brings up an error: "The debug type is not recognized. Make sure that you have a corresponding debug extension installed and that it is enabled."

It seems I am overlooking something very obvious and I feel completely blind. Can somebody please assist me getting this running?
Thank you so much!