ESP32S3 cetification parameters have no affect

DavidLj

ESP32S3 cetification parameters have no affect

Postby DavidLj » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:44 am

Hello,
I'm about to CE-certify a product based on ESP32-S3-WROOM, but I have some issues with loading certification parameters.
I have used the EspPowerLimitTool to generate a binary with power settings that we save at a partition in the flash.
In the EspRFTestTool, I load the binary "ESP32-S3_RF_Test_Bin_V101_20210623.bin" into RAM.
I check the "Certification EN" radio box and I get "DEBUG:***** Set certification parameters successfully! *****" in the log.
When running TX packet 11b 1M 20M channel 1, Duty cycle 10%, Certification EN Certification code CE, I expect to see a difference in output power, but I do not. It is the same output power regardless if the certification parameters are loaded or not.

We have "same" issue in the application code.
#
# PHY
#
CONFIG_ESP_PHY_CALIBRATION_AND_DATA_STORAGE=y
CONFIG_ESP_PHY_INIT_DATA_IN_PARTITION=y
# CONFIG_ESP_PHY_DEFAULT_INIT_IF_INVALID is not set
# CONFIG_ESP_PHY_MULTIPLE_INIT_DATA_BIN is not set
CONFIG_ESP_PHY_MAX_WIFI_TX_POWER=17
CONFIG_ESP_PHY_MAX_TX_POWER=17
CONFIG_ESP_PHY_ENABLE_USB=y
# end of PHY

The intention is to load the phy_init_data from the partition, but also here we see no affect of the parameters.

Is there anyone how have seen this behavior before and have suggestions on a solution?

Thanks!
David

DavidLj

Re: ESP32S3 cetification parameters have no affect

Postby DavidLj » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:50 am

Re-posting as I still have the issue that the certification parameters do not seem to have any effect.

One issue that I found is that CONFIG_ESP_PHY_CALIBRATION_AND_DATA_STORAGE and CONFIG_ESP_PHY_INIT_DATA_IN_PARTITION should not be enabled at the same time. But with CONFIG_ESP_PHY_CALIBRATION_AND_DATA_STORAGE disabled I still have the issues.
It must read the parameters "correctly" from the partition, because if not it should be a "runtime error" but it is not.

Are you using the EspRFTestTool or are you writhing you own code for the RF-certification?

Regards,
David