srec flashing

karthikkrv85

srec flashing

Postby karthikkrv85 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:54 am

Team,

Can we flash srec file format to ESP32? I tried but it didnt work. So thought of checking here... Is there anything specific i need to do inorder to make it work with srec file?

ESP_Sprite

Re: srec flashing

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:01 pm

Can you explain a bit more what you're trying to do, as in, what's in that srec file that you want to flash and why do you want to flash it? Generally it's unlikely that that srec has anything in it the ESP can run as it's not a common format for ESP binaries.

karthikkrv85

Postby karthikkrv85 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:31 am

i have 2 reason.

1. srec binary flash through OTAP. (OTA binary transmitted by BT and written to specific partition). Our OTAP tool is designed to transfer srec binary

2. In order to handle the 1st method, i thought of using srec binary flash over idf.py. But i assume the idf.py is designed to transfer only .bin files.

Please correct me if my understanding is not right.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:56 am

Esptool.py indeed only supports bin files, so you'd need a program (you could likely use objcopy for that) to convert the srec into a bin file. I don't know how your particular otap implementation works, if it means the ESP receives SREC data, then you need some kind of code to convert that back to binary when you write it.