Clone Lyra board vs full Custom board

felixcollins

Clone Lyra board vs full Custom board

Postby felixcollins » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:32 pm

We have a product that uses old ADF 1 with a fully custom audio board. We have some volume buttons, play/skip button and a i2s amplifier, playing mp3 off an sd card. We had a lot of trouble getting things to work with the ADF and had to fork it to remove some of the Lyra board configuration code that was writing over our gpio and i2s config. I have tried bringing our code up on the latest ADF but there still seem to be gpio conflicts even when I choose custom board and make a blank implementation.

I'm currently redoing our hardware and will change the i2s chip and add a microphone. My question is, should I just clone one of the Lyra boards to avoid the difficulties in implementing a custom board? Which Lyra board is likely to get the best future support?

Has anyone successfully implemented a custom ADF board that can run the various samples? It seems from the forums and documentation that the ADF development team places a low importance on being able to run the ADF on a custom board. Is this a fair assessment? I'm just trying to gauge the risk of going the custom route. IC availability is a big consideration currently that may sway the decision towards a custom board.