Powering the WT32-SC01

CarbonMan

Powering the WT32-SC01

Postby CarbonMan » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:37 am

I would like to connect to a ld06 lidar. It communicates via UART as a transmit only. I would like the wt32-sc01 to be connected to the PC through the usb port. My problem is that I cannot power the lidar from my usb port as the current is too high. So I need to use a separate power supply. I have a couple of questions.

Looking at the manual https://usermanual.wiki/m/ab7a86d3e8e58 ... acc0b6.pdf, is the only way to apply an external power source by soldering to the + - 5V input voltage?
If I do that, does this override the voltage available on the usb conector? That is, can I have them both plugged in at the same time?

I think this might be a silly question... If I wasn't to power the wt32-sc01 from the input + - solder pads, but kept it powered from the usb and then powered the lidar separately, can I get them to communicate? Do you need a common ground when communicating via UART?

ESP_Sprite

Re: Powering the WT32-SC01

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:47 am

From the schematics, I don't think you can have both USB and external 5V connected at the same time - you run the risk of backfeeding the external 5V into the USB port. You could power the LIDAR externally, though; just make sure the grounds of everything are connected.

CarbonMan

Re: Powering the WT32-SC01

Postby CarbonMan » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:19 am

Thanks, everything seems to be powered up and running.