ESPRESSIF installation gives error ERROR_EXISTING_ESP_IDF

erickrieg@gmail.com

ESPRESSIF installation gives error ERROR_EXISTING_ESP_IDF

Postby erickrieg@gmail.com » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:57 am

when I am in VS, I install the ESP-IDF VS code extension successfully, I then do F1 and then show example project, I then select EXPRESS and it gives me a selection window showing ESP-IDF version v4.4.1 and a container directory of C:\Users\Eric\esp and a tools directory of c:\User\Eric\esp\esp-idf\tools I click install and it thinks for a while and gives me an error in a red box saying "C:\Users\Eric\esp\esp-idf already exists. Delete it or use another location. (ERROR_EXISTING_ESP_IDF But if I clear the directory and try again or type in a direct path that doesn't exist, it does the same process and stops of the same error. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything and tried it on another computer. I've tried to look for discussion of this error, but seen no solutions.

erickrieg@gmail.com

Re: ESPRESSIF installation gives error ERROR_EXISTING_ESP_IDF

Postby erickrieg@gmail.com » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:51 am

I found a solution to this problem. All I had to do is change where it says "Enter ESP-IDF Tools directory" from my failing entry of c:\User\Eric\esp\esp-idf\tools to c:\User\Eric\.espressif - that made the problem go away. Hope this saves someone else the hours I took to figure it out