BLE initate current consumption

R0815dd

BLE initate current consumption

Postby R0815dd » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:25 pm

Hey guys,

I know it´s not the first thread about BLE current consumption. But I can´t find a proper solution for my case.

I use a custom built PCB with an ESP32 -WROOM-32E. I want to transmit data via BLE, but I get a brownout every time BLE initate. If I power the PCB via ESP-PROG it works fine. So I measure the current consumption at the boot sequence. I measure the current, drawn from 5 V input to voltage converter. The peak current is about 700 mA peak and draws more than 400 mA for more than 30 ms. After the boot sequence it just draw 50 mA.

I also tested this with the Espressif Dev Kit and the sample code BLE_server for Arduino and get the same values for the current consumption.

As I read a lower CPU frequency might help, I can´t confirm this. It takes the same current at 80 MHz, as well as 240 MHz.

The image shows the current consumption over time.

Thank you for your help.
Attachments
Current_boot.png
Current_boot.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 4531 times

becorey

Re: BLE initate current consumption

Postby becorey » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm

The recommended min power supply is 500mA 3.3V. Is your power supply smaller than that, causing the brown outs?
Little larger power supply and/or more output capacitance can help avoid the voltage dip brown out.

R0815dd

Re: BLE initate current consumption

Postby R0815dd » Mon May 03, 2021 7:20 am

I know, that a 500 mA power supply is recommended. But I used a 400 mA (continuous) switching converter instead of an 500 mA LDO. The switching converter is able to deliver up to 700 mA for short time. Maybe the rise time is too long for the ESP32. I am now able to to supply the esp with an inrush current limiter (p-mos) and a 1 mF capacitor.

What I´m really looking for is a way to reduce the current during the BLE init. The 1 mF is quit big and makes the circuit board not pretty :lol: . Maybe you somebody know a solution for this.