JLINK with Eclipse

ESP_User1563

JLINK with Eclipse

Postby ESP_User1563 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:29 pm

Hello,

Are there any guides to get a JLINK to work with Eclipse to program and debug a ESP32 Devkit C? I see guides to use the built in hardware debugger on a dev board but not for a user created board or something like the Devkit C that does not have a debugger. JLINK is a good debugger but if there a guide for a different debugger, that could be useful too. I have tried both Visual Studio Code and Eclipse with ESP-IDF and Eclipse seems to be the better option. I have read about much difficulty in getting VS code to work with hardware debuggers.

Thank you

Scott.Bonomi

Re: JLINK with Eclipse

Postby Scott.Bonomi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:13 am

You can use a JLink to debug a DevCKit, I use a JLINK Compact Plus.

You have to have a recent version of openocd, 10.0 at a minimum

I put the DevKitC (Solo flavor) in a prototyping board and then had to make jumpers from the individual pins to the header in the JLINK Plus Compact. I am using 7 wires which includes a ground and power. and you need to use the WINUSB driver rather than the Seggar driver for the JLINK.
You not get a reset function, so restarting gdb happens a lot.

ESP_User1563

Re: JLINK with Eclipse

Postby ESP_User1563 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:50 am

Thank you for your response Scott.

Do you remember what you had to do to configure Eclipse to start working? Did you simply need to change the configuration in the debug profile to point to different scripts or something more elaborate? The ESP-IDF tools installer installed version V0.10-0-esp32-20200709 version of openocd so I assume that will work without another openocd install. Was it a lot of work to the it to debug or even program properly over JTAG?

Thank you so much for your help.