Can the Olimex ESP32-EVB be used in a commercial application?

airmouse

Can the Olimex ESP32-EVB be used in a commercial application?

Postby airmouse » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:58 am

My friend and I are very near a final product package, but we currently are using the Olimex ESP32-EVB relay board as part of the final system.

Another company told us that the FCC could potentially force us to recall any Olimex "ESP32 evaluation-hardware" due to it not meeting compliance or licensing requirements, and I would really like to hear a professional's opinion about that.

So now we are very worried that the ESP32-EVB does not meet FCC requirements for commercial use.

Is this a valid concern? Or would that module be okay for use in our product in a commercial environment?

We really like the ESP32, and the Olimex boards are great for our use because they include 2x mechanical relays inside a metal box and even a Rj45 Ethernet connector.

Please can someone help me understand why these Olimex boards would (or would not) be a acceptable in a commercial product or system?

I also wonder, how would the FCC be involved if wireless radio was disabled (Ethernet only) and/or not attach antennas, could that help reduce FCC requirements?

Thanks and I greatly appreciate any insight into this,

Grant.

P.S. If anyone is knows of a commercial grade ESP32 based Ethernet enabled relay module, I would really love to know about it!!

WiFive

Re: Can the Olimex ESP32-EVB be used in a commercial application?

Postby WiFive » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:04 am

If you are not using wireless it just has to pass fcc part 15 unintentional radiator testing. If you are using wireless it has a certified module so you just have to test to verify the certification is still applicable (not affected by overall board design). If you are using the relays for mains voltage you may want UL/ETL certification testing.