How to make BLE client connect to only specific server

listout

How to make BLE client connect to only specific server

Postby listout » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:24 am

I've a BLE application (NimBLE stack), it works as expected. But now I want the client to connect to a specific server and don't connect to anything else. How can I do this? How can I tell the client to connect to a specific server?

listout

Re: How to make BLE client connect to only specific server

Postby listout » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:30 am

Please can anyone help ?

abansal22

Postby abansal22 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:21 am

listout wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:30 am
Please can anyone help ?
What is mean by specific server. if the server expose the specific uuid, you can filter out. you can use the OOB method to filter out the desired server, you can use the mac of the device to filter it out. how do you want it?

listout

Postby listout » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:45 am

abansal22 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:21 am
listout wrote:
Please can anyone help ?
What is mean by specific server. if the server expose the specific uuid, you can filter out. you can use the OOB method to filter out the desired server, you can use the mac of the device to filter it out. how do you want it?
I meant, the server and client boots up and connects for first time. The client then stores some info about the server so that it connects to this particular server only (if there are other servers in the vicinity) next time it connects and not to some other server with same services and uuid.

May be store the mac address or something
Last edited by listout on Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

abansal22

Postby abansal22 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:52 am

listout wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:45 am
abansal22 wrote:
listout wrote:
Please can anyone help ?
I meant, the server and client boots up and connects for first time. The client then stores some info about the server so that it connects to this particular server only (if there are other servers in the vicinity) next time it connects and not to some other server with save service and uuid.

The specific term is called bonding.. i thing there is the example in the esp-idf folder

listout

Postby listout » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:55 am

abansal22 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:52 am
listout wrote:
abansal22 wrote:

I meant, the server and client boots up and connects for first time. The client then stores some info about the server so that it connects to this particular server only (if there are other servers in the vicinity) next time it connects and not to some other server with save service and uuid.

The specific term is called bonding.. i thing there is the example in the esp-idf folder
Wouldn't bonding require some I/O capability. My device doesn't have any I/O. I've tried the bleprph and blecent example from master branch. After each connect when it shows the connection information in bleprph example the bonding and encryption was shown as 0. I've tried changing various things through menuconfig, nothing helped (mainly the options in example config and there was another option in nimble to store info in nvs, however I haven't found the later in v4.4.1)

abansal22

Postby abansal22 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:57 am

listout wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:55 am
abansal22 wrote:
listout wrote:

Wouldn't bonding require some I/O capability. My device doesn't have any I/O. I've tried the bleprph and blecent example from master branch. After each connect when it shows the connection information in bleprph example the bonding and encryption was shown as 0. I've tried changing various things through menuconfig, nothing helped (mainly the options in example config and there was another option in nimble to store info in nvs, however I haven't found the later in v4.4.1)
I have done long time ago, you can use just works security, if no i/o capabilities..

listout

Postby listout » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:58 am

abansal22 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:57 am
listout wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:55 am
abansal22 wrote:

I have done long time ago, you can use just works security, if no i/o capabilities..
Tried that the bonding flags still remains 0. Both on master and 4.4.1 tag

I was looking at this thread https://github.com/espressif/esp-nimble/issues/14, doesn't look like I can use bonding in my scenario

listout

Postby listout » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:29 am

@abansal22 I was finally able to form a bond, do you know how to connect to only bonded device. I the thread I mentions said something about a PR but I couldn't find any such PR

abansal22

Postby abansal22 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:32 am

listout wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:29 am
@abansal22 I was finally able to form a bond, do you know how to connect to only bonded device. I the thread I mentions said something about a PR but I couldn't find any such PR
Good to hear that!
I think bonding itself means to connect with the specific device. In the bonding process, they exchange the cypto keys. So next time it is available, then it is able to find and connect it.
Thanks