Need help for Battery Support with ESP32-WROVER Module

Ritesh

Re: Need help for Battery Support with ESP32-WROVER Module

Postby Ritesh » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:41 am

WiFive wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:16 pm
It may work fine at wrong voltage for a while, but also may damage flash over time if it is above rated voltage. I cannot say whether it is connected to your problem but it is something to ask espressif about. Other than that I don't have any suggestion, sorry.

I don't know what idf version you are using but there was some fix to raise 1.8v regulator output in the past to solve some flashing issues.
Hello WiFive,

Thanks for providing prompt response from your end.

We are using ESP32 IDF 3.2 version.
I don't know what idf version you are using but there was some fix to raise 1.8v regulator output in the past to solve some flashing issues.
Would you please let me know configurations which can fix this kind of issues like you have resolved into past?

Meanwhile we will also check configurations specific to ESP32 and will let you know for confirmation perspective.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:54 am

Ritesh wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:41 am
WiFive wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:16 pm
It may work fine at wrong voltage for a while, but also may damage flash over time if it is above rated voltage. I cannot say whether it is connected to your problem but it is something to ask espressif about. Other than that I don't have any suggestion, sorry.

Hello WiFive,

Thanks for providing prompt response from your end.

We are using ESP32 IDF 3.2 version.
Would you please let me know configurations which can fix this kind of issues like you have resolved into past?

Meanwhile we will also check configurations specific to ESP32 and will let you know for confirmation perspective.
Hello WiFive,

Let me know if need anything else from my end regarding issue which we are facing at our end. We are now into critical stage as we are getting failure ratio more compare to older now when battery is almost about to drain it.

Also we have already sent devices to Espressif China Team but due to current covid situation into Mega Cities there we are not like how fast we can get support from their end.

So, if you have any alternative way or suggestion then also it would be really appreciated.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:09 pm

Check BOOTLOADER_VDDSDIO_BOOST menuconfig option. I dont have other suggestion.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:27 am

WiFive wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Check BOOTLOADER_VDDSDIO_BOOST menuconfig option. I dont have other suggestion.
Ok. Thanks for providing prompt response. I will check it and let you know if any further query regarding same.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

xien551

Postby xien551 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:10 am

What is your output voltage of your battery?

You know, the battery has its own impedance, it is not recommenced to connect the battery and VCC directly without a buffer.

The voltage is 2.3V means there had been large current flowing into the module, which may damage the chip.

Also note that, the boot of chip needs very large current. And a large tantalum capacitor is not omitted. Other wise, the lift of battery will be decreased because of too huge transient current load.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:56 pm

xien551 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:10 am

You know, the battery has its own impedance, it is not recommenced to connect the battery and VCC directly without a buffer.

The voltage is 2.3V means there had been large current flowing into the module, which may damage the chip.

Also note that, the boot of chip needs very large current. And a large tantalum capacitor is not omitted. Other wise, the lift of battery will be decreased because of too huge transient current load.
Thanks for your prompt response.

We will provide full complete details by tomorrow as per requirements.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:27 am

xien551 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:10 am

Hello

Sorry for late response.

Battery cut off voltage is 2.5V and we have put boost switcher which will give the 3.3V. When battery voltage >3.0V then switcher gives the 3.3V but when battery voltage decrease below 3.0V than switcher will also decrease its voltage as well and some time its goes below 2.3V.

ESP is damage when battery voltage decrease around 2.5V. Because of high current demand from ESP, actual voltage on ESP below 2.3V.

What is the suggestion from your side to prevent this issue?

Also what capacitor value we need to add on ESP supply line?

Let me know if need anything else from my end
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

xien551

Postby xien551 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 am

Well, Energy supervision is a critical issue for production.

In my opinion, if your project is sensitive to the power consumption, for example a wearable devices, then the switch regulator is needed for low energy cost, and the regulator with battery energy supervision is suggested for high reliability.

If the application is not low-power demand. A linear regulator with high energy-cost is suggested for high reliability.

And the key is that the battery's capacity should be large enough, and the maximum output current should meets the esp32's requirement.

For mature battery power solution, you could refer to ESP-Drone, a quadrotor uav using ESP32-S2 with Lion-battery supplying.

To be honest, if your project is not sensitive to the cost, that would be not a problem at all.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:45 pm

xien551 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 am
Well, Energy supervision is a critical issue for production.

In my opinion, if your project is sensitive to the power consumption, for example a wearable devices, then the switch regulator is needed for low energy cost, and the regulator with battery energy supervision is suggested for high reliability.

If the application is not low-power demand. A linear regulator with high energy-cost is suggested for high reliability.

And the key is that the battery's capacity should be large enough, and the maximum output current should meets the esp32's requirement.

For mature battery power solution, you could refer to ESP-Drone, a quadrotor uav using ESP32-S2 with Lion-battery supplying.

To be honest, if your project is not sensitive to the cost, that would be not a problem at all.
Thanks for your prompt response.

As we are using battery to operate ESP32 Module as a part of EV charging solution.

Also what would be minimum and maximum current required for ESP32 Module for wakeup if we consider bare minimal system?

Our ESP32 module based system will completely operated on battery power supply
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

ESP_jakob

Postby ESP_jakob » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:12 am

For the power consumption of the ESP32 chip, you can refer to the chip's datasheet: https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... eet_en.pdf.

For the power consumption of any of the modules, you can refer to their respective datasheets from here: https://www.espressif.com/en/products/modules.

The datasheet mentions:
The operating voltage of ESP32 ranges from 2.3 V to 3.6 V.
So that range should be safe.
It also recommends a power supply which can deliver 500mA or more.