Blink Example - LED Type not available in menuconfig

hippo59

Blink Example - LED Type not available in menuconfig

Postby hippo59 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi - I have an ESP32-S2-DevKitC-1 development board. I am trying the Blink example project. After running

idf.py set-target esp32s2

I run

idf.py menuconfig

so that I can set the parameter Example Configuration -> Blink LED type to RMT. However, this parameter doesn't appear in the menu. The only parameter in the Example Configuration menu is Blink GPIO number.

Any idea what is going on? It seems like idf.py needs to know about the development board (ESP32-S2-DevBitC-1), not just the SOC target (esp32s2) but I don't see any environment variable (or file parameter) that indicates this.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Blink Example - LED Type not available in menuconfig

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:56 am

What ESP-IDF version are you using? From what I remember, that option was added somewhat recently.

hippo59

Postby hippo59 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:56 pm

idf.py --version ==> ESP-IDF v4.3.1

But does menuconfig display options even if the underlying development board doesn't support it? That seems like a bad idea. That's why I asked if somehow (i.e. environment variable, compiler define, etc) idf.py thinks it knows the capabilities of the system hardware.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:06 am

idf.py generally doesn't have knowledge of the development board you're using - only the chip you're compiling it for (as set with 'idf.py set-target').

Also, it seems that the blink example in v4.3.1 doesn't have support for the WS2812-type leds - from what I can see, that was added in v4.4.