ESP32-C3 Devkit Maximum supply voltage

oliverlc

ESP32-C3 Devkit Maximum supply voltage

Postby oliverlc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:39 pm

Is the maximum supply voltage for the ESP32-C3 Devkits specified anywhere? It would be useful to know the maximum voltage that can be applied to the 5V pin. I have tried looking up the regulator used on the board but I can't find its datasheet.

Many thanks!

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-C3 Devkit Maximum supply voltage

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:26 am

From what I can read online, it's good till 20V, however I can imagine it will burn off too much power if you try that with the load the ESP32C3 gives you... from an AMS1117 (which is in the same package, so the comparison works I think) they give a thermal resistance of 50'ish C/W for the case of this devkit (5x5 copper plane attached to LDO and a max temp of 125C, meaning the package can burn off 2W'ish. If we take an average current of, say, 200mA for the ESP32C3 (this depends on your specific application though) this means the LDO can burn off 10V before it overheats, meaning the max input for this sustained current will be 12V. Personally, I wouldn't even do this as I don't like my devboards getting that hot; if the input supply exceeds 7V or so, I would simply add a buck converter to bring the power supply rails down to 5V before pushing the voltage into the devboard.

oliverlc

Re: ESP32-C3 Devkit Maximum supply voltage

Postby oliverlc » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 pm

Thanks for looking into this. Useful to know both the theoretical and practical limit.

I am only planning on using it at maximum 6.5V, probably less. So I should be good!