visual programming for ESP

adrianmolecule

visual programming for ESP

Postby adrianmolecule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:59 am

Hi,

I'm building an open source device that could produce some of the substances needed for biological research including COVID testing but it could do much more than that. This is just a hobby for me but it's a pretty serious hobby and I hope it will make a real difference in the world.

Here is where I am right now: http://specyal.com/diybio/bioreactor.html

I'm using an ESP32 mini on the PCB.

This machine will be used by people that can not program but it should be able to run "protocols" that are multi-step programs ( control some actions like motors based on input from sensors) so it needs a visual editor to build a number of 'protocols'. The board cannot run Firmata and the requirement is that those protocols can be run on the board without being affected by wifi interruptions also the coding should not block otherwise it will create issues with the control of the motors. Right now the communication from UI is done using webSockets but of course it could be amended.
What do you think is a good choice for building and uploading these 'protocols' or you think there are better choices like Blockly, mBlocks or Scratch derivative, nodeRed etc.
So the requirement will be. Simple drag and drop editor that allows building and saving a 'protocol'. Allows for user upload of the protocol on Arduino without wiping off the main program. Allows user to start execution of the 'protocol'. Do not interfere with control of motors which are mostly running in PWM.
I hope somebody did this before me so we don't have to reinvent the wheel where a custom routine is built visually. I think Lego Mindstorm robots can do that.
It could be done in pieces where the visual builder will generate some code in JavaScript or whatever it supports and something will dynamically load that program without wiping off the main program.

Thank you or your help,
Adrian

WiFive

Re: visual programming for ESP

Postby WiFive » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:07 pm

Something based on micropython and blockly

https://shop.m5stack.com/pages/uiflow