Newbie question about devkit pinouts

ZheyGrudov

Newbie question about devkit pinouts

Postby ZheyGrudov » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:12 am

Hello everyone,

Apologies for the newbie question but I have been unsuccessfully trying to find out a description of the pin layouts of the ESP32-DEVKITM-1 and ESP32-C3-DevKitM-1 development boards.

In appendix A on p. 60 https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... eet_en.pdf you can see description of all the pins, but these are not tied to a specific development board.

Is there any place I can refer to which details the pin layout of the development boards, similar to what you would find in the arduino world? For example, I struggled to find the I2C pins on my mini development board.

Thank you for your time.

Best wishes,
Zhey

ESP_Minatel

Re: Newbie question about devkit pinouts

Postby ESP_Minatel » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:18 am

Hi,

We have this guide (maybe similar to the ones that you have mentioned): ESP32-C3-DevKitM-1

For I2C you can use any I/O (INPUT and OUTPUT). Some pins are INPUT ONLY.
The IO MUX and the GPIO matrix are used to route signals from peripherals to GPIO pins. Together they provide highly configurable I/O. Using GPIO Matrix, peripheral input signals can be configured from any IO pins while peripheral output signals can be configured to any IO pins

ZheyGrudov

Postby ZheyGrudov » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:11 pm

Hello and thanks for the response, I have already checked this guide out.

When you seining GPIO pin can be programmed, this would involve changing registry values I assume ? So it wouldn't be how the board works out of the box ?

Are there any pins configured to be used for I2C in the development boards ? It would be great to have a description of how each pin is configured out of the box. Is this available anywhere ?

ESP_Minatel

Postby ESP_Minatel » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm

ZheyGrudov wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:11 pm
Hello and thanks for the response, I have already checked this guide out.

When you seining GPIO pin can be programmed, this would involve changing registry values I assume ? So it wouldn't be how the board works out of the box ?

Are there any pins configured to be used for I2C in the development boards ? It would be great to have a description of how each pin is configured out of the box. Is this available anywhere ?
You don't need to deal with registers at this level. You just need to define the pin to be used on the peripheral driver.
There's no pin configured out of the box, but some peripherals use dedicated pins.

See the Appendix A – ESP32 Pin ListsA.1. Notes on ESP32 Pin Lists (pg 52).

Not sure if you're using ESP-IDF or Arduino, but this is similar on both.

ZheyGrudov

Postby ZheyGrudov » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm using arduino IDE, so will read about how to do it there. Appreciate your help!