Unused pins on PCB

morsisko

Unused pins on PCB

Postby morsisko » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Hello,

I'm designing PCB for my device, it will use ESP-WROVER module as main MCU. I can't find answer to my question in the datasheet nor on the forum. I'm using only half of the GPIOs, what should I do with unused pins? Is it ok to leave them float? Maybe I should connect them to VCC via pull-up resistor? This device will be powered from battery, so I want to avoid unnecessary power consumption. I'm aware that some of the GPIOs are the bootstrapping ones and need to be in certain state during boot, but what with the "normal" ones?
Thanks for answers

ESP_Minatel

Re: Unused pins on PCB

Postby ESP_Minatel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:03 am

Hi,

Since you can use the integrated pull-up and pull-down resistors, you can leave the pin unconnected and be sure to configure/initialize them in your software.

You can see the reference here for GPIO pull-up and pull-down: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... /gpio.html

Attention for this also:
Only pins that support both input & output have integrated pull-up and pull-down resistors. Input-only GPIOs 34-39 do not.

morsisko

Postby morsisko » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 pm

Thanks for reply.

So just to clarify things, as for the GPIs in range 34-39 I'm using only GPI 34 and 35, so I assume I should connect external pull-ups to GPIs 36-39, because those pins don't have internal pull ups, is that correct?

ESP_Minatel

Postby ESP_Minatel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi,

I don't think it's necessary in your case, but there are some applications, like automotive, which recommend you to tie the pin to the ground using a resistor (pull-down).

morsisko

Postby morsisko » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:50 am

Thanks for you answers. I think it is clear now.
My application will operate in typical environment so I think I will let those GPI float.

ESP_Minatel

Postby ESP_Minatel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:47 am

No problem!

The only reason for that is to keep all pins in a known state. Critical applications must be as safe as possible!