ESP32 Development Board vs Module for Production

AlpDmr

ESP32 Development Board vs Module for Production

Postby AlpDmr » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi all, I am working on a new project that will be sold as a commercial device and would like to use ESP32 in system core but I am newbie about ESP32 Modules (I've used ESP32 DevKit many times but never used any Module yet). I would like to use ESP32-WROVER-X but I don't know is this product is differ than ESP32 DevKit. I mean is there any capability differences (about pins, serial connection capabilities, GPIO counts etc.)? In addition, there are many electronics components on the DevKit (naturally) but if I use WROVER module, do I need to put all these (or some for current protection, i2c connections, serial communications, etc..) to work it properly (in production phase). Or do I just need to connect the pins to the sensors (with necessary resistors etc. sure), connect to the relays, just send pin outs as usual in DevKit.
I wish I can explain what I want to ask..
Thanks right now..

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 Development Board vs Module for Production

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:03 am

You can actually get the schematic of the DevkitC, so you can replicate the bits you need from that if you want.

AlpDmr

Postby AlpDmr » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:03 pm

First of all thank you for your answer, but maybe I couldn't explain what I want to ask.
I mean If I get a ESP32-WROVER-X Module and put on the custom pcb can I use this with just connecting to the other components same as DevKit?
For example below you can see a schematic for ESP32 DS18B20 Temperature Sensor connection
can I use same schematic for ESP32-WROVER-X module (by just connecting D4 pin to the DS18B20 and resistor as well) or will I need to add additional components?
And is this situation is same for all examples?
Thanks..

ESP_Jan

Postby ESP_Jan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:31 am

Hi AlpDmr,

the devkit is basically just a breakout board for the module with an extra:
  • power supply
  • USB-serial converter
  • buttons
  • and a few resistors and capacitors
to make your development easier. Your final device may not need some of these.
You can always look at a schematic of your devkit to check what exactly does it include.
When implementing the ESP module in your device be sure to have in mind the hardware design guidelines.

Hope this answers your questions.

Jan