Newbie User - ESP32-WROOM-32E

Synectix

Re: Newbie User - ESP32-WROOM-32E

Postby Synectix » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi Jan,
I have made some progress in understanding the ESP32 & the idf.py environment.
I made one module as an ibeacon Sender and another as ibeacon receiver (using the examples provided) and could successfully receive the ibeacon packets transmitted by the sender and see the output on the "idf.py monitor".

Again, re. using the ESP-WROOM-32 with a battery, what type of battery would you suggest ?
The product I am looking at has to have a battery operated sender, with only BLE mode and Wi-Fi not enabled.

ESP_Jan

Postby ESP_Jan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi Synectix,

This page explains it up pretty well:
https://www.radioshuttle.de/en/media-en ... red-esp32/

In short, use a lithium or a LiFePO4 battery connected to the 3.3V pin.

Feel free to post any follow-up questions.

Jan

Synectix

Postby Synectix » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:44 am

Understood !

However, is the 3.0V output from a Lithium battery (which could go down to say, 2.70V after some usage) adequate for the ESP32-WROOM-32E Module to work ?

I was under the impression that you need 3.3V because of the SPI Flash chip on the module which needs 3.3V !
At what voltage will this module stop working ?

Thanks

ESP_Jan

Postby ESP_Jan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:20 am

Hi Synectix,

looking at this closer, the ESP32-WROOM-32E module requires 3.0V to operate, so the LiFePO4 batters is more suitable.

Jan

Synectix

Postby Synectix » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks Jan !
My only problem with the Li or LiFe-PO4 type of batteries is their form factor. The large cylindrical shape makes it a little difficult for me to have a slim & sleek hand held pendant like a key fob....though, I do see a few in the 1/2AA size or AA diameter but much longer (18650 type).

Also, when you search for Lithium batteries, we get all types like LiSoCL2, LiMnO, LiMnO2, Li-polycarbon-monoflouride, Li-Ion, Li-polymer and LiFePO4....which adds to the confusion. Anyway, I will decide on the battery later.

I have a few other basic questions, which hopefully you don't mind answering !
a) The Eddystone example is given only for the Receiver. Do you have one for the Transmitter ?
b) How do I combine two projects - say ibeacon and wifi-softAP or ibeacon and wifi-station and download into flash ?
c) How do I set my own custom MAC addresses ? I couldn't find the file where I can define the MAC address.
d) How do I add, say a simple task, like making an LED on & off every time an ibecaon packet is transmitted or received ?

Please bear with me, as I am from the nearly extinct generation of assembly language programmers, having spent many years on 8085, Zilog80 and PIC micros ! Please feel free to message me privately if you don't want this cluttering up the forum.