About Camera Image Quality

julianorodrigues0316

About Camera Image Quality

Postby julianorodrigues0316 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:04 pm

Hello guys, I have a question about the quality of the images from the cameras.
I looked for the cameras that the ESP32 may have, and found the following ...
OV7725
OV2640
OV7670
OV5640

Searching I saw the "types" of image quality, such as VGA, XVGA, among others.
I have a patio where I want to put a camera and I’m on the second floor of my building (if possible I’ll put a
photo for you to see).

With ESP32, will I be able to film this patio? Researching I realized, that even VGA, the quality of
filming is not "locking up", I could increase the processing or memory of ESP32, so I can
improve image quality?

And another thing, I researched the qualities of the cameras that I put up there, but they have a lot of difference between
them in the quality of the footage (I mean in relation to the various cameras), since the ESP32 doesn't have a lot of processing power?
Just one more question, do you know any cameras with night vision? A colleague here on the site sent me a video,
to turn a camera into a camera with night vision, but I was wondering if there is a camera for the ESP32,
with night vision.

askpatrickw

Re: About Camera Image Quality

Postby askpatrickw » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:21 pm

I put some notes together specific to the ESP32-S2 and my understanding of its camera capabilities compared to the RaspberryPi and the options to add a camera.

https://gist.github.com/askpatrickw/017 ... 4d#summary
The key difference is the ESP32-S2 has a DVP interface and the Raspberry Pi a MIPI interface. In theory, this means the Raspberry Pi's MIPI port is more capable at the higher-end than the DVP port on the ESP32-S2. What does this look like in the marketplace of available sensors? Which suport MIPI, DVP and what are their specs?

If you look at OmniVision's site, you will notice that DVP is only available on 1080p\2MP sensors. Above 2MP and up to 13MP MIPI only or MIPI+LVDS are supported and above 13MP only MIPI.
I hope that helps...