Best way to use c++ wrappers of Arduino Lib

paulst

Best way to use c++ wrappers of Arduino Lib

Postby paulst » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi,
I'm playing with an esp32 dev board for the first time now. I've setup the esp-idf and everything is working as it should and so far I'm impressed!
I'm planning to write code for the esp32 in C++ while avoiding the arduino.h

There are 2 Libraries in the arduino-esp32 repo that I'd still like to use. They are just c++ wrappers for the bluetooth and wifi apis. Is there a "correct" way to do this?

So far I've tried to clone the whole repo and disable everything else in the menuconfig. But then cmake fails, because it won't find the ethernet component.
Is there a better way than copying the individual source code files?

Thanks a lot, Paul

jeremyjh

Re: Best way to use c++ wrappers of Arduino Lib

Postby jeremyjh » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi, that Arduino library only builds on ESP 3.2 and GCC 5.2. If you are getting the ethernet missing error, it makes me think you are trying to build with master or 4.0 release branch, which can't be done presently. I think your best bet is just cherry-pick the files you want out of the repo. It doesn't look like they have dependencies on Arduino core.

Something else you might want to look into is the Smooth library: https://github.com/PerMalmberg/Smooth. Its modern C++ wrappers for ESP-IDF, and it builds with GCC 8 and the 4.0 branch. It has a Wifi library but no bluetooth yet.