ESP32S3 N16R8 LittleFS sketch data uploading fails

copych

ESP32S3 N16R8 LittleFS sketch data uploading fails

Postby copych » Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:25 pm

Within an Arduino project I have a 'data' folder, and if I use ESP32 board, 'data' contents is freely uploading to the flash memory via 'Tools'->'ESP sketch data upload'. But when I use ESP32S3 board, this same tool doesn't do the job. It shows that it's ok, and progress goes from 0% to 100% and then resets, but after all, it seems that something went wrong and the app can't see the uploaded data. Actually I can't find what is the correct setting for the ESP32S3 N16R8 board in the IDE Partitions settings, so I tried different ones, still with no luck.
Please, anybody, advise if this is due to the corrupted IDE/ESP core installation, or am I doing it somehow wrong?
I know that there are some other ways to upload the data, including command line and VS Code with PlatformIO or ESP/IDF, but I maintain the _Arduino_ project, and most people downloading it are neither experienced nor willing to learn and to install some massive frameworks just to upload a few files.

lbernstone

Re: ESP32S3 N16R8 LittleFS sketch data uploading fails

Postby lbernstone » Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:48 pm

The plugin from @lorol is working for me. Run the LittleFS_Test sketch, and set FORMAT_LITTLEFS_IF_FAILED to false. Make sure you don't have "Erase all flash before upload" enabled.

There is a board in the list called "ESP32S3 Dev Module Octal (WROOM2)" that has the right settings for your device.

copych

Postby copych » Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:18 pm

Thanks for your reply, I've already tried that example, and it works fine as well as my app, when it comes to operating with LittleFS from within an app. But when I upload files thru the IDE, they just won't be there and the apps don't see the FS. So I wonder if it's just my corrupted setup, or the plugin doesn't work with ESP32S3 w/16MB Flash?

lbernstone

Postby lbernstone » Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:23 pm

It's working for me, and it sounds like the plugin upload is working for you. Make sure all your settings are correct for flash mode/size (OPI/16MB). Turn core debug level to verbose and see if you get any additional information about why the filesystem is unable to mount. Enable the "erase all flash before upload" once (it should take a while to wipe before your upload), and make sure something weird isn't stuck in your partitioning. What partition scheme are you using?

copych

Postby copych » Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:03 pm

What partition scheme are you using?
I tried almost every one that would fit the files. Which one should I choose? It feels like there's not a lot 16MB schemes, is it?
About the errors, as I can remember, on start the example app was telling about wrong directory pair or tuple or whatever {0,1} something like that.

copych

Postby copych » Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:13 pm

This must have been my corrupted setup. Reinstalled plugin, rebooted, and it worked.