IDF monitor only sends one character at a time

Ikkibarzal

IDF monitor only sends one character at a time

Postby Ikkibarzal » Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:06 pm

I'm trying to establish communication between my esp32-s3 and the esp idf monitor I use inside VS code. I have used the example code from the IDF, usb_serial_jtag_echo. The code seems to work fine, but I have an issue with the idf monitor in vscode. I can't find out how to send more than one character, the monitor immediately sends every character, while I want to send words.

I have another application that sends serial with a button, so I'm able to write more and then send. When I use this application the serial data does correctly send but this application doesn't receive the echo, I can only read the echo in the monitor inside vs code.

Is there some sort of setting to stop the idf monitor in vs code from immediately sending every keypress?
Last edited by Ikkibarzal on Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ESP_Sprite

Re: IDF monitor only sends one character at a time

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:55 am

I don't think it's a good assumption that data will be sent in one go; as you're working with an (emulated) serial stream, the software in between is implicitly allowed to break it up anywhere in the process. Better to write a good parser that can collect the letters of a word and only 'release' it to the rest of the program when it received a complete word.