What would you like to see in The Next Chip?

Ing-Dom

Re: What would you like to see in The Next Chip?

Postby Ing-Dom » Sun May 26, 2024 12:13 pm

I'm currently desiging a device with Ethernet and therefor using the old ESP32 in the QFN package, ESP32-PICO-V3-02.

The most anoying stuff it the missing native USB (Uart + BL) and the very limitied GPIOs..

eriksl

Postby eriksl » Mon May 27, 2024 6:34 am

IIRC the original ESP32 doesn't have an ethernet MAC nor PHY, correct? So you're talking about an SPI connected MAC+PHY?

Would the ESP32-S2 (no Bluetooth) or ESP32-S3 be a starting point and then added internal ethernet PHY and or MAC?

How is the external ethernet PHY+MAC? I have been using one from Microchip on an ATmega several years ago, the main problem was it was 10 Mbps HD only and that it had a few sillicon bugs, but besides that, it worked fine.

What does "BL" mean?

martins

Postby martins » Mon May 27, 2024 6:47 am

@eriksl original ESP32 does in fact have ethernet MAC with which you can achieve speeds up to around 75 Mbps. That is slight drawback of all newer chips that has to use SPI ethernet with max speeds barely over 10 Mbps. In some use cases the ethernet over USB might be interesting alternative tho.

eriksl

Postby eriksl » Mon May 27, 2024 6:50 am

Thank you for your clarification!

I am interested though in typical applications for microcontrollers that need such a high throughput. I think 10 Mbps isn't that bad? Bits I assume, so ~ 1 Mbyte/s?