ESP32-C3FN4 Schematic review

erikmagkekse

ESP32-C3FN4 Schematic review

Postby erikmagkekse » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:12 pm

Hello everyone :)

I've just created my first-ever schematic design for a custom ESP32-C3FN4 DevBoard. Before I dive into PCB design, I'm aware that the upcoming PCB's RF might not work well due to the missing RF tuning. Initially, my goal is to have a finished PCB where chip programming works, RF isn't a requirement for now.

However, I haven't started the PCB design yet. First, I want to ensure that the schematic I've built makes sense. I've tried to add some inductors to damp interference, particularly for RF, for the quartz itself for clock stabilization, USB-C shielding (according to the USB-C standard, as far as I know), and also for the SoC power. From what I understand, VDD3P3 is also used for the RF circuit in the SoC, right?
Also in general, whats the difference between VDD3P3 and VDDA, for what is it used?
Dont worry the GPIO Pins Layout will change in the PCB design for better traces.

Things that are important to me, would the Schematic design work? If the PCB Design is correct too ofc.

Feel free to review it. It would help me a lot, but please don't expect something like from an experienced PCB/schematic designer :D

Thanks already!
Attachments
ESP32-C3-DevBoard.pdf
(92.14 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-C3FN4 Schematic review

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 am

USB-C specs say you should connect the receptacle to ground (here, page 135) so you can get rid of C1/R3. I'd personally add an 10uF on VCC as well, but that's more intuition than grounded in theory. Wrt adding resistors/inductors, please follow the hardware reference guide, for instance the C3 doesn't normally need an inductor on the main crystal.

Aside from that, I see no obvious issues.

erikmagkekse

Postby erikmagkekse » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:03 pm

Thank you very much! That will save me some parts :)
However on the Schematic Checklist i can see they added the there also an Inductor, as reason to stabilize the frequenzy from the crystal.
So lets add it and we will see! Thanks :)

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:05 am

erikmagkekse wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:03 pm
Thank you very much! That will save me some parts :)
However on the Schematic Checklist i can see they added the there also an Inductor, as reason to stabilize the frequenzy from the crystal.
So lets add it and we will see! Thanks :)
That's fair, worst case you change it to a 0 ohm resistor in the BOM.