Connect j-link to ESP32S3 chip

ilangr

Connect j-link to ESP32S3 chip

Postby ilangr » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:34 am

Hello,

A few days ago I contacted Segger to understand if they have support for debugging ESP32 chips via their server utility, using j-link.
The answer I got is that j-link doesn't support this chip at all, but they do have other debuggers such as the flasher pro that allows only flashing of ESP but not debugging.

This is the response I got from Segger's support:
Sorry to say that there are currently no plans for ESP32 support.
Reason is that there is no interest from the Espressif side to work with 3rd parties, especially on the debug side.
Without the vendor being behind this, it won't be fun getting the debug documents and visibility would be quite bad, so things would not be overall "worthwhile" for SEGGER here.

Working with Segger tools usually offers better flashing/debugging experience than using free solutions such as OpenOCD. I'm trying to understand the different possibilities to debug ESP32, so I wanted to ask if you have any plans to collaborate with other 3rd parties companies (from IDEs and toolchains perspective).

ESP_Sprite

Re: Connect j-link to ESP32S3 chip

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:36 am

I cannot comment on any current activities / plans wrt cooperating with companies (mostly because I have no clue but also because I'm not sure if that's public), but we've always been forthcoming in documenting our stuff (both in the form as technical reference manuals as well as source code, e.g. the OpenOCD implementation). That already helped other people: e.g. VisualGDB is a third party IDE with debugging capabilities, and the Rust project has implemented JTAG functionality independent from OpenOCD.