programming error

perigalacticon

programming error

Postby perigalacticon » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:06 am

I purchased a new ESP32-S3 board from Aliexpress. The product page does not say which board to select in the Arduino IDE to program it. I tried several, including ESP32 Dev Module. I selected the 16MB memory option and enabled PSRAM. I get this error regardless of which board or options that I choose:

Code: Select all

Sketch uses 267486 bytes (20%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1310720 bytes.
Global variables use 13612 bytes (4%) of dynamic memory, leaving 314068 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
esptool.py v3.0-dev
Serial port COM7
Connecting...
WARNING: This chip doesn't appear to be a ESP32 (date codes 0x03700000:0x00000000). Probably it is unsupported by this version of esptool.
Chip is ESP32-D0WDQ6 (revision 0)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, Coding Scheme None
WARNING: Detected crystal freq 0.00MHz is quite different to normalized freq 26MHz. Unsupported crystal in use?
Crystal is 26MHz
MAC: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "esptool.py", line 3682, in <module>
  File "esptool.py", line 3675, in _main
  File "esptool.py", line 3353, in main
  File "esptool.py", line 720, in run_stub
  File "esptool.py", line 324, in read
StopIteration
Failed to execute script esptool
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
I have programmed other ESP32 boards such as the Adafruit feather and Lolin D32 Pro successfully, but I can't program this one. Here is the link on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568058 ... pt=glo2usa

Could you tell me the right options to program it?

ESP_Sprite

Re: programming error

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:16 am

You have selected a board that uses an ESP32, which is a different chip than the ESP32-S3. Select an ESP32-S3 board instead.

lbernstone

Postby lbernstone » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:19 am

If your device is a ESP32-S3-WROOM-2 (aka octal flash), there is a separate entry for that as well.

perigalacticon

Postby perigalacticon » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:03 am

Thanks for the help. I followed the instructions at: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/ard ... stallation and everything seemed to go as expected. However, when I attempt to compile in Arduino IDE 1.8.19 (latest) after choosing "ESP32S3 Dev Module" board or a few other boards I get this error:
Error compiling for board ESP32S3 Dev Module:
The system cannot find the path specified.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board ESP32S3 Dev Module.
Do you know how this can be fixed? I suspect it is possible there is confusion about exactly where is the "sketchbook directory". In my Arduino preferences menu it lists "C:\Users\perigalacticon\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino" as the sketchbook location that I have been using which has worked consistently for all other boards. There was not a "hardware" folder in the listed sketchbook location before I installed the latest espressif folder; however I have been compiling for other ESP32 and ESP8266 boards so I'm not sure what espressif folder the compiler had been using before I installed this latest one.

The path to the newly installed folder is: C:\Users\perigalacticon\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\espressif\esp32

lbernstone

Postby lbernstone » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:41 pm

Don't use OneDrive with a manual installation.
Make sure to run get.exe after doing a git pull.
Why are you doing a manual installation? Use the board manager.

perigalacticon

Postby perigalacticon » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:14 pm

Thanks for the advice. OneDrive did cause me trouble once before but not recently. I did a manual installation because I used information from Adafruit's guide for their ESP32S3 Feather. It said to use manual installation to get the most recent boards setup because I guess at the time it wasn't included in the std Arduino boards manager.

I fixed it however, and now everything works as expected. This is what I did, FYI for anyone that ever runs into this (prob no one): I removed the "hardware" directory from the Arduino sketch folder. Then I went to boards manager but I couldn't install it that way because it said already installed at the latest version, so I first installed the next highest version, and then the board programmed as expected. Then I updated to the latest version again using the boards manager. Thanks for the help, this will be the brain of my new robot!