No pyvenv.cfg file

wpkeenan

No pyvenv.cfg file

Postby wpkeenan » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:44 pm

Hi All,
I have spent almost 2 weeks trying to get to the stage where I can compile and download hello_world, and am now getting "No pyvenv.cfg file" in both Eclipse IDE with Espressif IDF plugin and also in Espressif IDE. I have at least 4 copies of this file in the folder where python.exe resides for both the python installation and also the python virtual environment folder, and also in the parent folders for these 2 folders. but the system can't seem to find them. The following is a partial log of activity showing the error. :

Python being checked: C:\Users\User\.espressif\python_env\idf5.1_py3.12_env\Scripts\python.exe
No pyvenv.cfg file
CMake Error at D:/Espressif/esp-idf-v5.1.2/tools/cmake/build.cmake:366 (message):
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "D:/Espressif/hello/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
Failed to run Python dependency check. Python: python, Error: -106
Call Stack (most recent call first):
D:/Espressif/esp-idf-v5.1.2/tools/cmake/build.cmake:498 (__build_check_python)
D:/Espressif/esp-idf-v5.1.2/tools/cmake/project.cmake:547 (idf_build_process)
CMakeLists.txt:6 (project)

On top of this I spent quite a while solving the issue of No espidf.constraints.v5.1.txt file. I found something online and copied it into a txt file and saved it to the appropriate folder and this seemed to get me one small step further. It's been a long hard struggle to get this far.
I can't seem to find any indormation online about the pyvenv.cfg file missing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

MicroController

Re: No pyvenv.cfg file

Postby MicroController » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:21 pm

wpkeenan

Postby wpkeenan » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:27 am

Thanks Microcontroller,
I executed this from a command shell :
C:\Users\User\.espressif>C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python312\python.exe D:\Espressif\esp-idf-v5.1.2\tools\idf_tools.py install-python-env
ERROR: This script was called from a virtual environment, can not create a virtual environment again
Before I did this I ran the install tools from within Espressif IDE and it gave the same result.
Any more Ideas?
Thanks
Bill

ESP_Roland

Postby ESP_Roland » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:22 am

Please try to clean up your system and remove everything ESP-IDF-related (including all environment variables you've set).
Run the installer again and select the option of installing the built-in Python 3.11. Save the installation log and share it if you still encounter the issue.

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:02 am

I have seen similar many times. My way of fixing these things in Eclipse is:
delete entirely the .espressife folder under user.
Then reinstall the tools. I prefer using the prior downloaded IDF version from local location as source, works fine. Wait until it finishes, it needs quite a while.
Delete the build folder of your project.
Delete the debug configuration in eclipse.
Restart eclipse.
Create a new debug configuration for your project (don't forget to select the correct destination chip)
compile your project
rebuild the index (watch the progress, takes a while until all reg flags disappear)
restart eclipse
It should work now

ahh and stay away from any IDF 5.x there is something utterly wrong with it