3 brand new ESP WROOM-32s all have no WiFi connectivity.....

EdtheWino

3 brand new ESP WROOM-32s all have no WiFi connectivity.....

Postby EdtheWino » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:34 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what available troubleshooting is available to determine why an ESP processor is not connecting to
a local area network. I have used ESP WROOM-32s for a couple years and they normally work without any issues.
But I just received 3 new ones that look identical to my existing units and none of these will establish a network connection.
The same code works fine in my existing ESPs and a simple onboard LED blink loop works fine on the newest ESPs.

One area I am unsure about is the selecting the proper board assignment in my Arduino IDE. I have always found the
"WROVER Module" board assignment works first time everytime.There are a multitude of others available
like the ESP32-WROOM-DA-Module and WROVER Kit (all versions) but they seem to have issues that the WROVER
Module does not present.

Any leads, links, or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks....

p.s. the picture shows the new ESP32 on the right and the older one on the left. They appear identical.
Attachments
bad esp32s.jpg
pic of old and new ESP323
bad esp32s.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 8028 times

lbernstone

Re: 3 brand new ESP WROOM-32s all have no WiFi connectivity.....

Postby lbernstone » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:25 pm

You should use ESP32 dev module. WROVER is a different module which includes psram.
Install the WiFI scan example, set your logging level to verbose. If the rssi levels seem very different from what you get on the other modules, that would indicate some manufacturing defect.

EdtheWino

Re: 3 brand new ESP WROOM-32s all have no WiFi connectivity.....

Postby EdtheWino » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:53 am

lbernstone wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:25 pm
You should use ESP32 dev module. WROVER is a different module which includes psram.
Install the WiFI scan example, set your logging level to verbose. If the rssi levels seem very different from what you get on the other modules, that would indicate some manufacturing defect.
Your response was very informative and using the "wifi scan" routine made me realize some things about these ESPs and their variations.
thanks you,

Mister Ed