ESP32 Thermal Parameters

Belal1997

ESP32 Thermal Parameters

Postby Belal1997 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:16 am

Hello guys

I want to build an IOT project using ESP32.
The project is going to be in a high temp environment ~ 60-75 C
The only thermal Parameter I see in the datasheets is the Recommended ambient temperature of 105 C.
I didn't see any Thermal Resistance available in the datasheet , Can you please Provide me the following paramaters:
1) Theta ( Junction - Ambient) Resistance.
2) Theta ( Junction - Case) Resistance.

I have seen that many people asked this kind of question in this Forum - can anyone help us with this ?

Thank you!,
Best Regards'
Belal :)

MicroController

Re: ESP32 Thermal Parameters

Postby MicroController » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:14 pm

Belal1997 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:16 am
1) Theta ( Junction - Ambient) Resistance.
2) Theta ( Junction - Case) Resistance.
Not sure that's very useful information (and you'd also need TJmax at least). An ESP32 isn't a MOSFET after all :)

Belal1997

Postby Belal1997 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:41 am

Hello,
In the datasheet the company has stated that the recommended operating temperature is 105 C.
TA Operating ambient temperature –40 — 105 °C
They didn't state any thermal parameters regarding the chip. nor the Maximum junction temperature.
AMR.png
AMR.png (66.37 KiB) Viewed 7520 times
I want to do a thermal simulation for the system and these parameters are missing.
I want to make sure that at the Maximum working point ( Max continues Power) that the Esp will operate as expected without having a degrade in the performance and will not affect his Life span.

Can you help me with that?

Thank you !

MicroController

Postby MicroController » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:18 pm

Sorry, I can't actually help there. - And I'm still not convinced at all that what you're trying to do would make sense.
You're basically asking the manufacturer of the chip to provide numbers so you can check if their own calculations, simulations and qualification tests justify their published specifications?

I see it this way:
1. the manufacturer gives a lot of specifications and characteristics for his parts and the subsystems inside, and, unless where stated otherwise, these are all valid for the whole specified temperature range.
2. if the parts are specified for 'ambient temperature' of <=105°C, I see absolutely no reason to doubt the part's reliability at a meager 75°C.
3. a complex chip with many millions of transistors plus RC circuitry with capacitors and inductors and optionally in-package flash memory is unlikely to be accurately modeled as a single junction. (Uneven, probably variable, distribution of heat generation, and varying degrees of heat tolerance...)