UART software download problem on WIN10

TrebuchxD

UART software download problem on WIN10

Postby TrebuchxD » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:16 pm

Hi!
I recently got my hands on the ESP32s2 module, which doesn't have an onboard USB-UART bridge. I took one (STLink Virtual COM port from STLink v2) to download my code, but the process did not work. I pulled down boot0, connected through the same bridge using the terminal and I got a message: "rst:0x1, boot:0x3 [...] waiting for download"
Hence the conclusion the power, bridge, and connections are correct. But, when I try to use esptool.py (chip_id, read_mac) or download code using platformio there is an error "A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Invalid head of packet (0x01): Possible serial noise or corruption." Solutions from the troubleshooting guide didn't help.
When the same setup is connected to the same platformIO IDE on Linux everything works. My friend has the same problem with WIN11, so my question is... Do You know any workaround to it? Or rather a correct solution?

Thank You!

Ps. Using a board with an onboard bridge is working under both our systems.

TrebuchxD

Re: UART software download problem on WIN10

Postby TrebuchxD » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:48 pm

Hello!
After a day I managed to track the problem and find a workaround. The bridge was the problem. STLinkV2 has some (just guessing) problems with managing DTS, and RTS commands apparently. When a transmission without them is used everything works well. So just don't use it for programming ESP32.

I will leave the post for future ARM fans ;)