powering ESP32-CAM from USB plug

szboatwright

powering ESP32-CAM from USB plug

Postby szboatwright » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:59 pm

I'm very new to ESP and microelectronics in general, so I apologize if this question has a stupidly simple answer. I've spent a few days searching around, but I either don't have the right vocabulary to search or tutorials just skip over it.

I'm trying to power my ESP32-CAM. I successfully flashed it with this code using the dev board, but I think I may have fried it when I tried connecting it to power.

I used this USB cable with this wall plug, and connected the wires on the USB cable to the ground and 5V pins on the board.

I'm thinking the usb wall plug may have given it way too much power? Now I'm just figuring out the best way to power it. I just want to power it from the wall, I don't need a battery.

ESP_Sprite

Re: powering ESP32-CAM from USB plug

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:17 am

No, that's an USB wall wart; that should hgave given you 5V; as long as you also connected it to the 5V input on the board, it should still work.

What happens if you try to flash it again using the original way you flashed it? If that doesn't work, the board is likely dead indeed.

szboatwright

Postby szboatwright » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:55 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:17 am
No, that's an USB wall wart; that should hgave given you 5V; as long as you also connected it to the 5V input on the board, it should still work.

What happens if you try to flash it again using the original way you flashed it? If that doesn't work, the board is likely dead indeed.
Sorry, I assumed I'd get a notification when a reply was made to this, so I just saw this. I can try again later this evening, but last time I plugged it back into the dev board, I didn't see any activity. Any idea of what could have killed it? Now that I think of it, I did plug it into my computers micro-usb port. I assumed it would only deliver a low voltage, but maybe that did it.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:30 am

I have no idea, sorry. Plugging it into any computer USB port also should not have killed it.

thezcx

Postby thezcx » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:41 pm

First thing first, try to upload the same code. If it is ok thenyour psu might not be deliver enough power to it. I'm using my esp with 8V no problem after a year.

So either you connect it wrong or psu is weak of the board is okay