Hall sensor no longer supported in ESP-IDF 5.0 - MAJOR PROBLEM

dedvalson

Hall sensor no longer supported in ESP-IDF 5.0 - MAJOR PROBLEM

Postby dedvalson » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:54 pm

Hi,

I am finally getting our application ported to ESP-IDF 5.0.2. However I now read that the hall effect sensor is no longer supported. This is a disaster for us. We have thousands of units in the field that utilize this sensor. Our units are in a water proof case. Users use a magnet over the hall effect sensor to do resets and change modes. We do not need accuracy, just the presence or absence of the magnet.

Can you PLEASE supply me with any information I might be able to use to continue the use of hardware feature. This seemingly minor thing will prevent us from doing this upgrade unless I can work around it.

Thanks,

Don

cruvus

Re: Hall sensor no longer supported in ESP-IDF 5.0 - MAJOR PROBLEM

Postby cruvus » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:43 pm

Same question here. This is the main issue why we cannot go past IDF 4.* yet.
ESP32 / ESP-IDF 5.1.4

yangxi

Postby yangxi » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:42 am

cruvus wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:43 pm
Same question here. This is the main issue why we cannot go past IDF 4.* yet.
Hi, thanks for the issue submission. Could you kindly write to yangxi@espressif.com and tell us more about your project status and application scenario? We'll have furthur discussion on your case and see how to support your demand. thanks.

yangxi

Postby yangxi » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:43 am

dedvalson wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:54 pm
Hi,

I am finally getting our application ported to ESP-IDF 5.0.2. However I now read that the hall effect sensor is no longer supported. This is a disaster for us. We have thousands of units in the field that utilize this sensor. Our units are in a water proof case. Users use a magnet over the hall effect sensor to do resets and change modes. We do not need accuracy, just the presence or absence of the magnet.

Can you PLEASE supply me with any information I might be able to use to continue the use of hardware feature. This seemingly minor thing will prevent us from doing this upgrade unless I can work around it.

Thanks,

Don
Hi, thanks for the issue submission. Could you kindly write to yangxi@espressif.com? We'll have furthur discussion on your case and see how to support your demand. thanks.

axellin

Postby axellin » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:57 am

The PCN only says "the hall sensor on ESP32 does not work properly. Therefore, all references to hall sensor in
ESP32 documentation need to be removed."
Can someone share more details about the issue?

dedvalson

Postby dedvalson » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:59 am

yangxi wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:43 am
dedvalson wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:54 pm
Hi,

Thanks,

Don
Hi, thanks for the issue submission. Could you kindly write to yangxi@espressif.com? We'll have furthur discussion on your case and see how to support your demand. thanks.

Email sent. Thanks.

dedvalson

Postby dedvalson » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:46 pm

Hi,

FWIW I created a tiny component that implements this and seems to work (with ESP_IDF 5.0.2)

It uses the legacy ADC driver so it is kind of out of date but it works (at least for me). It may not work for anyone else, no promises.

I have attached it as a .zip file here.
Attachments
HallSensor.zip
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 417 times

ESP_Zombie

Postby ESP_Zombie » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:52 am

Hi dedvalson,

We will be very grateful if you'd like to upload your components to the ESP Registry(https://docs.espressif.com/projects/idf ... index.html) and upload the component to your github at the same time.

Then we also review your components, thanks for your contribution!