ESP32 board not showing up after BSOD (flash corrupted?)

SaveiroPRF

ESP32 board not showing up after BSOD (flash corrupted?)

Postby SaveiroPRF » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:12 am

Hello everyone!

I was working on a sketch for driving stepper motors thru two drivers. Me and my brother noticed that the USB micro-B that came used for flashing/communication was having a bad contact for quite time, with random plugged-in and -out sounds from Windows 10. It also occured that sometimes the board would only make a plugged-out sound, or plugged-in but no COM port detected. This issue was happening in two different laptops, so I guess it was not a driver incompatibility.

We decided to update it via OTA, but for that we needed to flash the base sketch. When preparing the board, it started to connect and disconnect multiple times, until my laptop got a BSOD related to driver loading/unloading (not sure which message it was) and the board stopped being recognized. It also started to flash the built-in LED very quickly, which was not expected since the current sketch was not using that pin. Tried to use esptool.py but it doesn't find the board, so I got my Arduino UNO to flash the ESP32 board without the Atmega MCU, but got the following message:

Code: Select all

esptool.py v4.5.1
Serial port COM3
Connecting......................................

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Invalid head of packet (0x00): Possible serial noise or corruption.

Specifications of machine:
Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Arduino IDE 1.8.19
esptool v4.5.1
Specifications of ESP32 board (hardware/flasing):
Board: ESP32 Dev Module
Chip: ESP32-WROOM-32D (D0WDQ6)
USB Driver: CH9102X
Upload Speed: 921600
CPU Frequency: 240 MHz
Flashing Frequency: 80 MHz
Flash Mode: QIO
Flash Size: 4MB
These settings are default to "ESP32 Dev Module" from Arduino IDE.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Is it firmware-based or is it driver-based? Have I bricked my board?
Any answers appreciated.