Wemos S2 mini not recognised by Macbook after flashing ESP-IDF hello_world example

Altusir

Wemos S2 mini not recognised by Macbook after flashing ESP-IDF hello_world example

Postby Altusir » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:38 pm

Hello,

I'm a little bit new to the esp idf world, so i wanted to follow this tutorial: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... irst-steps

My VS Code is setup and I already came to the part hitting the ESP-IDF: Build your project command.
When I tried to flash it via UART I had to set my Wemos S2 mini into DFU mode via https://www.wemos.cc/en/latest/tutorial ... pload-code
I then selected the /dev/cu.usbmodem01 device and flashed the program to the board.

In the flashing logs there is the part:

Code: Select all

[...]
Compressed 3072 bytes to 103...
Wrote 3072 bytes (103 compressed) at 0x00008000 in 0.0 seconds (effective 594.7 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
WARNING: ESP32-S2FNR2 (revision v0.0) chip was placed into download mode using GPIO0.
esptool.py can not exit the download mode over USB. To run the app, reset the chip manually.
To suppress this note, set --after option to 'no_reset'.

[...]
So when I press the RST button or reconnect the board to the Macbook it won't be recognised until I set it back to DFU mode.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

ESP_Sprite

Re: Wemos S2 mini not recognised by Macbook after flashing ESP-IDF hello_world example

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:39 am

That devboard does not contain a (separate or integrated) USB-serial converter; it does all its communication using USB-OTG. You need to use menuconfig to set the console to USB CDC (in Component config → ESP System Settings → Channel for console output) to make it work.

Altusir

Re: Wemos S2 mini not recognised by Macbook after flashing ESP-IDF hello_world example

Postby Altusir » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:15 pm

Thanks! Now it works.