ESP12-F – Battery driven – Adapter Board

dkal_01

ESP12-F – Battery driven – Adapter Board

Postby dkal_01 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:28 am

Hi,
I programmed my ESP12-F with an „esp8266 tester v2.3“ and installed my Software (including OTA). I want it to run from batteries (2xAA).
I connect directly (no board) using very small pins :
3 (Enable /CH_PC) ; 8 (VDD) to + (battery)
16 (GPIO15) ; 15 (GND) to – (battery)
And it all works.
Now I soldered the ESP to an Adapter Board (https://ecompon.de/produkt/esp-adapter- ... fi-module/) .
Connected the same and nothing works anymore (it does not boot). I must be doing something completely wrong. Can anybody help to find my stupid mistake?
Regards Dirk

Inq720

Re: ESP12-F – Battery driven – Adapter Board

Postby Inq720 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm

dkal_01 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:28 am
Hi,
I programmed my ESP12-F with an „esp8266 tester v2.3“ and installed my Software (including OTA). I want it to run from batteries (2xAA).
I connect directly (no board) using very small pins :
3 (Enable /CH_PC) ; 8 (VDD) to + (battery)
16 (GPIO15) ; 15 (GND) to – (battery)
And it all works.
Now I soldered the ESP to an Adapter Board (https://ecompon.de/produkt/esp-adapter- ... fi-module/) .
Connected the same and nothing works anymore (it does not boot). I must be doing something completely wrong. Can anybody help to find my stupid mistake?
Regards Dirk
Here are a few things I'd try if I ran into this:
  • First, the adapter board's purpose is to expose the breadboard friendly spacing of pins... AND should have 3 resistors at the bottom edge that do all the hooking up necessary to run that you described above "3 (Enable /CH_PC) ; 8 (VDD) to + (battery) 16 (GPIO15) ; 15 (GND) to – (battery)". You should not need to do that once connected to the adapter.
  • Confirm that they did in fact solder the three resistors at the bottom edge of the adapter.
  • It is not clear whether you soldered the "very small pins" to the ESP or to the adapter. If you provide a picture, it might help us to help you.
  • Check for continuity between the actual ESP pins and the adapter pins. You may have a flawed adapter board.

Inq720

Postby Inq720 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:25 pm

BTW - If you are new to using ESP, you may not know about these. I believe those adapter boards are rarely used. Most people that use ESP12-F are expecting to solder them to some custom PSB or use the ESP hard wired. If you want the breadboard friendly spacing, most people do their prototyping with the WeMos or NodeMCU boards. They have the (1) pin spacing, (2) include the USB connectivity so you don't need the "esp8266 tester v2.3" and (3) can be conveniently powered with an old phone charger or batteries. For most projects it's cheaper and you don't run into the problems you are experiencing.

dkal_01

Postby dkal_01 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:24 pm

Thank You,
"You should not need to do that once connected to the adapter.".
I connected only VCC and GND it it all works now.

Btw. I usually do use NodeMCU . But I planned to solder this adapter on an standard PCB. I just recently saw these ESP12 PCBs.

Regards Dirk