Arduino and WiFi setup

MrWijnen

Arduino and WiFi setup

Postby MrWijnen » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:16 pm

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, the ESP8266 is a new world to me and is a bit overwhelming.

My end goal is to have the ESP8266 communicate with an Arduino Nano Every and an MIT app inventor on my phone so that my phone can send commands, via wifi, to the Nano Every.

But first, I need to set up the ESP8266 module.

For this, I want to use my Arduino Uno, but I can't figure out how to do this, and Google isn't helping me either. Does anyone have good references for how this is done? (preferably with some explanations) The ones I found did not use an Arduino Uno, but other boards.

Inq720

Re: Arduino and WiFi setup

Postby Inq720 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:51 pm

MrWijnen wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:16 pm
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, the ESP8266 is a new world to me and is a bit overwhelming.

My end goal is to have the ESP8266 communicate with an Arduino Nano Every and an MIT app inventor on my phone so that my phone can send commands, via wifi, to the Nano Every.

But first, I need to set up the ESP8266 module.

For this, I want to use my Arduino Uno, but I can't figure out how to do this, and Google isn't helping me either. Does anyone have good references for how this is done? (preferably with some explanations) The ones I found did not use an Arduino Uno, but other boards.
Welcome to the forum. You should probably supply some more info so you get a reply that is helpful...
  • The exact model of ESP8266 - Is it a bare board (ESP-12F, ESP-01S, etc) or a development board (WeMos, NodeMCU, etc)?
  • Using an Arduino to program a ESP8266 is like the hardest way of doing things. If you have a dev board, you can just program it directly.
  • What language are you proficient - INO, C++, Python, etc? Do you already have a preferred environment? Arduino IDE, or some other?
  • The WiFi interface that you want to work through - bare UDP, TCP, ESP-Now, etc
  • Do you want a web interface so you can easily access it from devices, laptops, tablets, phones?