Is ESP8266 Ver 4.0 not ESP-Now friendly with older chips?

kaxx1975

Is ESP8266 Ver 4.0 not ESP-Now friendly with older chips?

Postby kaxx1975 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:31 am

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I'm working with ESP-Now, and Arduino IDE to program, and several D1 Mini ESP8266's sending and receiving wirelessly to an esp32 that is plugged into my PC so I can send messages thru Serial to each of the ESP8266.

I have no problems uploading my current code to the older version of an esp8266 with micro USB ( that have the metal lid over the WiFi chip) I purchased a few years ago.

But I recently bought ESP8266 version 4.0 off AliExpress. USB-C ( and no metal lid). Using this exact same code these newer ones will not respond nor send a callback confirmation. They are able to send to the ESP32. They just don't appear to be receiving.

If I use another Ver 4.0 8266 instead of the ESP32 to send they have no problems communicating with each other.

The older ESP8266 do not work with these either. They just receive-only from the new.

I could post my codes, just let me know. But The fact that the only problem is when I use the ver 4.0 with the ESP32 tells me it's the chip. Plus I'm worried some know it all may jump on here and pick my code apart and make me feel silly.

I'm using the randomnerdtutorials as my guidelines if that helps.

Any ideas or suggestions?

AcmeUK

Re: Is ESP8266 Ver 4.0 not ESP-Now friendly with older chips?

Postby AcmeUK » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:50 pm

Hi
It looks as though there is no one able to respond to your question.
The Random Nerd Tutorials have an article about ESP-Now https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp-now ... duino-ide/
Perhaps posting your question there might get a response.