OTA Firmware update

fahirad

OTA Firmware update

Postby fahirad » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:24 pm

Hello all!

Can anyone tell me what is the exact way to update the AT firmware over the air, using AT commands? Which steps and commands need to be taken to achieve this?
Right now, I am only interested in updating and being able to download the future official releases.
If I understood the documentation well, the command AT+CIUPDATE is used for that, but I couldn't find any well detailed example or more information on what the procedure is.

Thank you in advance!

Fahira.

fahirad

Re: OTA Firmware update

Postby fahirad » Wed May 03, 2023 9:06 am

To follow up on my previous questions. :mrgreen:

I tried following this link https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... mmands-use but it confused me further. It lists three ways, but when it wants to explain how to actually update the firmware using the command AT+CIUPDATE it explains the steps to setup a device on the iot.espressif.cn (on which there is a prompt saying that it is not maintained anymore, does it mean I can't use it anymore?) and also it never actually mentions the command +CIUPDATE in the steps. It finishes up saying to use the command AT+USEROTA (for which in the beginning, it is only said to follow the general guidelines for the command from the documentation).
Can anyone shine any light on this? Thanks in advance :ugeek:

a2800276

Postby a2800276 » Wed May 03, 2023 10:53 am

It looks like the CIUUPDATE AT command is the one (probably) most applicable to your use case:
The application scenarios of this command are as follows:

-You only use the firmware released by Espressif, and only want to upgrade to the firmware released by Espressif.

-You want to upgrade the customized bin file, but do not have an HTTP server.

-You have your own HTTP server. In addition to the app partition, you also want to upgrade the user-defined partitions in at_customize.csv.
(I understand your usage scenario is the first one: you want to upgrade to firmware versions released by espressif)

Unfortunately, the iot.espressif.cn service does not seem to be operational anymore. But the documentation roughly describes how you would set up such a server yourself. It seems like all you need to do is: 1.) setup up the server which will host the firmware upgrade files and 2.) change a configuration entry from iot.expressif.cn to point to the new url of the server you set up.

The documentation does not seem to quite be up to date. Maybe you could open an issue at the AT-Firmware gitub: https://github.com/espressif/esp-at/issues

fahirad

Postby fahirad » Wed May 03, 2023 1:33 pm

Thank you so much for the help. I will post an issue and try to do it as you suggested.