Enroll all node devices remotely under 1 account

djorr5

Enroll all node devices remotely under 1 account

Postby djorr5 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:21 am

Hi, I am wondering if the following is possible with vanilla Rainmaker, i.e. stock app and stock dashboard etc. The firmware on the ESP32 can be modified.

A board is shipped to an end user with a QR code printed on paper.
The end user downloads the Rainmaker app and once registered and logged in with their email address they scan the QR code.
This will allow the ESP board to connect to their local wifi
The ESP board will now enroll into a master Dashboard, different to the end user that initiated the enrollment.
Once enrolled the master account will share the node back to the end user.

Basically I am trying to retain control over all nodes that are shipped to end users so I can control the OTA etc. And the end users will only get the nodes/devices that I want to share with them. Hopeing to be able to do it only via firmware modification and not need to create a web app backend.

ESP_Piyush

Re: Enroll all node devices remotely under 1 account

Postby ESP_Piyush » Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:58 am

We have concept of user roles which allows admin users to always have access to all the owned nodes via dashboard, irrespective of who the end user is. However, admins cannot control which users should be allowed to link a given node.

Can you let us know what your use case is?

djorr5

Postby djorr5 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:05 am

Use case is to be able to ship a custom esp32 board to an end user and they can use the rainmaker app to allow the esp32 to connect to their wifi and enrol into the Rainmaker backend.

However, I do want the node to enroll into my dashboard so I can control OTA updates etc. And to be able to do this with minimal interaction from the end user. The end user will not be very technical.

I don't mind enrolling the esp board into my dashboard first before sending out the board to the end user, and then the end user scans a printed QR code simply to allow the esp32 board to connect to their wifi.

ESP_Piyush

Postby ESP_Piyush » Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:29 pm

Claiming the nodes using host driven claiming will make you the admin user for these nodes, making them visible to you on the dashboard. The devices can then be sent to the end users to onboard on their app, but the admin access will still stay with you.

Meanwhile, I hope it is well understood that you can have just 20 such nodes linked to your account as an admin since public RainMaker is meant only for evaluation and hobby purposes. For any commercial use cases, a private RainMaker deployment will be required. The distinction between admin and end users would stay similar though.

djorr5

Postby djorr5 » Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:13 am

Appreciate the response and understood.