ESP-IDF eclipse plugin projects management question

masterd89

ESP-IDF eclipse plugin projects management question

Postby masterd89 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Hello guys, nice to be here.

i recently decided to give a try to the new esp eclipse plugin and CMake, due to some issues i had with the old GNU Make build system.

I have my codebase on github and i usually work on different workstations: since i prefer not to store eclipse project files on my repos, i found very convenient the new system, which greatly reduces the pain to manually set up the project from scratch each time i move to a different pc.

Unfortunately though, i haven't yet figured out which is the correct way to create a esp-idf project when i already have all the source files in a folder.

For example, if i start with a new ESP-IDF project setting the work directory equal to my project's folder (cloned from my remote repo), i get the main.c, README.md, CMakeLists.txt files overwritten with "hello world!" sample project's ones (even though i didn't select any in the "templates projects" window)

If i instead select Import -> Existing IDF project, i obtain a fully working project which correctly builds (whitout any file being overwritten), but it is automatically copied into eclipse's workspace directory. This allows me to work on it, but if i have other projects referring to components inside the one i'm working on (with the link pointing to the original folder), they won't see the updates on the sources.

TLDR: Is there a correct way to create a eclipse ESP-IDF project inside a folder which already contains source files?
BTW, i work on Ubuntu with eclipse 2019-12.

Thanks,
Davide

ESP_kondalkolipaka

Re: ESP-IDF eclipse plugin projects management question

Postby ESP_kondalkolipaka » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:28 am

Thanks for reporting this. "Import > Import existing IDF Project" is the right way to work - but this doesn't have a "don't copy into workspace" option. You can expect this in the future releases.

ESP_kondalkolipaka

Re: ESP-IDF eclipse plugin projects management question

Postby ESP_kondalkolipaka » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:40 am

Here is the new build
https://github.com/espressif/idf-eclips ... v1.0.0-rc1

With the latest build, during the import you will get an option to select whether you want to copy a project into a workspace or not. Please verify and let us know if see any issues.

I hope that helps.