ESP-Matter Commissioing Help

acm_deako

ESP-Matter Commissioing Help

Postby acm_deako » Wed May 03, 2023 11:00 pm

I'm working on getting a proof of concept of Matter support within our device. I've followed the example application "light" here: https://github.com/espressif/esp-matter ... ples/light

I was able to use this demo app on our device and got through commissioning via HomeKit and a HomePod as the commissioner. I was able to send light commands as expected.
The one configuration change to this example is that I disabled CHIPoBLE and BLE only for commissioning via menuconfig (component config -> CHIP Device Layer -> BLE Options). The project worked both as default (with these settings enabled) and without them. Our project is attempting to have these settings disabled.

I've now ported this sample code over to our application and successfully built it, and can see matter starts without errors. Unfortunately I am running into issues during commissioning.

I am able to see via my commissioning device that our esp32 device is showing up as a "Matter Accessory", same as the light example. But when I start the commissioning process it pretty quickly silently halts without errors after establishing a secure session.

Here are the logs of completely starting up matter and attempting commissioning:
commissioning_fail.txt
(15.94 KiB) Downloaded 317 times

The main thing I've noticed after the log "commissioning window closed", is the log
I (31393) esp_matter_attribute: ********** Endpoint 0x0000's Cluster 0x0030's Attribute 0x0000 is 0 ********** in light example
but
I (31969) esp_matter_attribute: ********** Endpoint 0x0000's Cluster 0x0031's Attribute 0xFFFC is 0 ********** in our code.

From the matter spec, cluster id 0x30 is the GeneralCommissioning and 0x31 is NetworkCommissioning. These logs seem to be generated from processing incoming messages from the commissioner, and I haven't had much luck figuring out why the commissioner is talking to a different cluster. I also see that in our logs we fail to get a "InvokeCommandRequest" from the commissioner, which seemingly arms the fail safe (given the next logs).

From what I can tell, our application is not properly responding to the commissioner for some reason and I am struggling to see why.

Any help on why this commissioning is failing would be very helpful.