ESP32 Board for High-Speed Stepper Motor Control

jonas22

ESP32 Board for High-Speed Stepper Motor Control

Postby jonas22 » Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:37 am

Hello Community,

I'm currently working on a project that involves controlling stepper motors at high speeds using an ESP32 board with built-in WiFi. However, I'm facing issues with the ESP32 WROOM 32 Dev Module, as it is unable to run the motors properly alongside WiFi communication.

I'm now looking for recommendations on the most powerful ESP32 board that can handle high-speed stepper motor control while maintaining reliable WiFi communication. Any suggestions or insights into boards that have been successfully used for similar applications would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

MicroController

Re: ESP32 Board for High-Speed Stepper Motor Control

Postby MicroController » Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:49 pm

jonas22 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:37 am
I'm currently working on a project that involves controlling stepper motors at high speeds
How many?
What is "high speed" to you?
I'm facing issues with the ESP32 WROOM 32 Dev Module, as it is unable to run the motors properly alongside WiFi communication.
Try and use a hardware peripheral for the signal generation instead of "bitbanging" in software.

ccrause

Re: ESP32 Board for High-Speed Stepper Motor Control

Postby ccrause » Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:37 am

As mentioned, use a hardeware peripheral to generate the step pulses:
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... mcpwm.html

Also use a stepper driver board such as A4988 (cheap) or DRV8825 (more features) for fancy functionality such as micro stepping and current ramping.