Help With Esp32

eddieshmurda

Help With Esp32

Postby eddieshmurda » Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:25 am

So the Esp master and slave are working fine with connected to my laptop. But when I disconnect them and then power them with a breadboard power supply the light turns on indicating its powered up but the code doesn't run. any suggestions?/

ESP_Sprite

Re: Help With Esp32

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:53 am

We need a lot more info here. What hardware are you running on? ESP master and slave what?

eddieshmurda

Postby eddieshmurda » Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:21 pm

I'm using two esp 32 Wroom- DA that I got from Micro Center. I'm using the ESP Now function for a one-way connection. The code works perfectly the only issue I'm having is when I remove the USB from my COM port and power my ESP with a breadboard power supply. The light turns on which indicates it's getting power but it seems like the code doesn't process or something when not plugged into my PC. Have any tips to help I've used Teensy's and Arduinos to run a simple push button code via power from a breadboard power supply and it works perfectly. Also with my model of ESP, I have to ground a strapping pin to be in download mode. If you can help me that would be greatly appreciated I need these two ESP's for a drone and controller project I'm working on

greycon

Postby greycon » Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:48 pm

Hi, can you take a step back? Flash a very simple program into the ESP32 which blinks an LED (And outputs a debug string on the Serial port) Then power it from your breadboard. Does that work?

Apologies if this is in any way offensive - but not knowing your skill level - it's best to start at basics, and then add changes bit by bit until you find whats wrong with your project.

Do you have any hardware debug tools at all - a scope ? (You can buy very cheap USB scopes) or a Digilent Logic Analyser? (Worth its weight in gold.)

eddieshmurda

Postby eddieshmurda » Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:11 pm

I have a high-level understanding of microcontrollers and their functions. The microcontrollers currently works when powered via a USB port. But when I disconnect the laptop and use a DC power supply, the LED lights up red, but the code doesn't work. I've used 3.3v and 5v and also tried this code with a teensy 4.0 it worked as it should connected to a laptop and dc power supply.

greycon

Postby greycon » Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:12 pm

Hi, OK, which pin did you connect the +5v to when you used the external PSU? What you are doing should work perfectly well, I do it all the time.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:47 am

Also if you press the reset button on the board, does it start working then?