Which ESP32 Board? Is WROOM dead?

Fran_iii

Which ESP32 Board? Is WROOM dead?

Postby Fran_iii » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:10 am

Extremely confused by so many versions of the ESP32 Board and associated chips/modules.

Some of the features I'm looking for...
  • 8 Mb to 32 Mb of flash memory (2Mb or 4Mb may work but unsure so larger seems better)
    I2C (hopefully 2)
    SPI
    ADC
    DAC (optional)
    Bluetooth
    WiFi (onboard antenna nice but not required)
    lots of GPIO pins
I was looking at the ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N32R8V on Mouser at...
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Es ... CZ4g%3D%3D
But it doesn't have any I2C or SPI listed on the datasheet at...
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... itc-1.html
And it has a WROOM module and I read they were not recommended for new designs... or is that just certain WROOM modules?

Hopefully some kind soul will give me some guidance here.

Also... Do all ESP32 boards have onboard FLASH memory? I see some of the esp32 chips/modules show no onboard flash so maybe it is on the development board as an external chip... right?

Thanks for any help and chip suggestions... and where to order as Amazon doesn't show all spec's it seems.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Which ESP32 Board? Is WROOM dead?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:03 am

All ESP chips (released up to now) have I2C and SPI; you should check the datasheet for the specs on that. (Note that I2C and SPI are controlled using the GPIO matrix; if you don't see dedicated pins for them it's because they can use any (compatible) pin).

Generally, all modules have flash in them, so whenever a devboard has a module, you get some amount of flash with them. On the Wroom modules: we have designed a bunch of incrementally better revisions (better RF performance, using a more up-to-date chip package etc) and when we do we put the 'not recommended for new designs' marker on the older ones. There'll always be a most-up-to-date incarnation that is OK to design into your products.

It sounds like the ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N32R8V has all the things you need. It doesn't have a DAC, but you can potentially abuse a delta-sigma module or the LEDC to generate analog signals there.

Fran_iii

Re: Which ESP32 Board? Is WROOM dead?

Postby Fran_iii » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:30 pm

Thank you for your kind response. It was helpful.