presoldered ESP32 module

fly135

Re: presoldered ESP32 module

Postby fly135 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:30 pm

markwj wrote:For prototyping that is just fine - it holds the module in very tightly. But not for production.
The issue being hand soldering led me to believe this wasn't a production item.

rziegaus

Re: presoldered ESP32 module

Postby rziegaus » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Well, I don't have too many items to solder, let's say up tp 5 modules. I have already soldered the equivalent ESP8266 modules but those were far easier to solder. The ESP32 modules have far more pins to solder.

My hand is not too quiet, I also have difficulties to see the spots correctly where to solder, but maybe I should really give it a try with flux. However since it's a lot of work, I'd prefer presoldered modules without any additional parts like led, voltage regulator, usb connector, etc.

On one hand the dev modules are really quite handy, but they are not ideal for production environments. Currently I run one ESP8266 and one ESP32 module with an external power supply, but that's not an ideal solution for outdoors. In winter when temperature fell below -10 degrees centigrade they stopped working. I suspect that's because of the power supply.

I 'd really prefer to run it on batteries but for that I need a simple solution... oh well

I think I'll try to work with flux... maybe also a heat gun and solder paste - let's see where that will lead to...

Rudi