RTC VBAT PIn

matheusmbg

RTC VBAT PIn

Postby matheusmbg » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:24 pm

Hello guys, how are u?

I'm having some troubles using the internal RTC of ESP32. I'm used to develop with microcontrollers that has internal RTC and also a pin called VBAT Pin, that i'm able to wire a coin cell battery to this pin and the system still keeps track of time, even if it has no power supply. Is there any VBAT pin in ESP32? I read on some other topic to wire the coin cell on GPIO36, but it didn't work, time reseted after power went off.

I know i can wire a battery to VCC but due to PCB and budget requirements, this is not possible.This is the same reason why i can't use DS3231 or something similar either. Also, i tought since ESP32 has an internal RTC, why to use an external module? Unless, there is no way to keep track of time while powered off.

I may or may not have internet to get the time from SNTP when the system restart, that's why i need RTC to keep counting. And time is a vital parameter for my system to execute properly.

I really hope ESP32 have a way to keep track of time with a VBAT pin, it would be weird to me that such a robust microcontroller doesn't have this feature like other common devices on the market.