Pushing ESP32-CAM feed into my server for live preview

laukejas

Pushing ESP32-CAM feed into my server for live preview

Postby laukejas » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:32 am

Hi,

I'm sorry if this question was already posted, but I gave it an honest search and didn't find anything. So here goes.

I want my ESP32-CAM video feed to be available from any network, not just the local network. I want to be able to see what my ESP32-CAM sees even when I'm away from home, on my smarthphone with cellular data, etc. I tried using tunneling services like NGROK and NABTO, but they didn't work (I can access ESP32-CAM controls, but not the video feed), and they require additional software running on one of the computers on the WiFi network that ESP32 is connected to, to do the tunneling. I am looking for a fully self-sufficient ESP32 solution.

My idea is this. Instead of having ESP32 host it's own server, it could push the video feed into another, publicly available server (I have a website hosting with a domain and FTP service, so I could use that one). I am thinking that I could have a page on my website - not public, accessible only via URL that I know - and have that page ready to receive and display the video feed that ESP32 sends into it. ESP32 would obviously know this URL too, as well as login credentials, if required.

Is this possible? Has anyone done anything similar before? I have some experience with microcontroller programming, but ESP32 is still quite new to me, and I'm not really good with PHP and web development in general.