ESP32 Sound output to Amplifier?

Espe21

ESP32 Sound output to Amplifier?

Postby Espe21 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:10 pm

I use an esp32 with the Karadio32 project: https://github.com/karawin/Ka-Radio32

I stream Music from my computer into the wlan. The esp32 receive this stream and output the sound on the DAC.
This works fine.
But no i need an amplifier with bass and treble regulation and much volume for an Headphone.

please can anyone suggest me an amplifier and power supply? i have tried an PCM5102 and an TPA3116 but this want work. many noise and the TPA is bridged and not for headphones.
The components should not be too expensive, i don't need high end sound.

many thanks!

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 Sound output to Amplifier?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:12 am

Note that you probably don't want the internal DAC of the ESP32. This is fine for test applications or simple squeaks, but because it's only eight bit, it's not very high-quality sound. Suggest you add an I2S DAC, if you haven't done that already.

For the rest: what are your requirements? As in: what speakers do you want to drive? I see you also want to drive headphones, any specifics for that? Can you solder SMD packages, or do you need whatever we advise to be available in module format?

Espe21

Postby Espe21 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:26 pm

i have already an i2s dac and it works fine.
you can see it here:

Now i want to drive an Class D Amplifier.
But this don't work because i want to connect an headphone also and a class d is bridged. I also have noises in the audio.

i have bought this power supply: https://www.ebay.de/itm/231641780569
i power the class d with this power supply and over an step down module 5v to the esp32 and pcm5102 dac.

I can not solder smd. i need help to buy the right amplifier and maybe help with the wiring of the modules (Power Supply, esp32, amplifier, tone board). i don't need highend sound. i think 10-20Watt are enough. but i really need bass and treble regulation. all audio should be analog.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 am

So, do you want to have a headphone output, a speaker output or both? If you want the first, just add a linear headphone amp, e.g. based on the LM386. If you want speaker outputs, just take any random class-D chip and add it on. If you want both... as you said, class-D amps usually are bridged, and with good reason. It's probably easiest to add both a class-D as well as a headphone amp and just switch off the speakers when a headphone is plugged in.

Wrt bass/treble regulation: these usually are not a part of the amplifier as they are just filters in the signal path and entirely independent of amplification. You can implement them in software if you want, or you can add the filter in hardware; e.g. this one.