Can esp32 s3 WROOM N8R8 does all of this ?

espNewAddict

Can esp32 s3 WROOM N8R8 does all of this ?

Postby espNewAddict » Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I discovered the ESP32 a few months ago, and I’m wondering if this affordable chip would be enough for my project.

I plan to use an ESP32 WROOM N8R8 to communicate with three sensors: an HX711 (synchronous serial with two lines: DAT and CLK) for a strain sensor, and two radars (UART). I also want to control two different LED strips (analog signal). I’ll be writing all the drivers myself, and I intend to use Wi-Fi (STA mode) and MQTT5 to send data related to the sensor values and other information.

Is this chip capable of handling all of this? My main concern is about the drivers. I need to poll data every 150 ms for the HX711, every 100 ms for each radar, and update the LEDs every 50 ms. I’m worried that Wi-Fi and MQTT might interfere with communication and result in some incorrect values. Even if I use tasks, I’m still unsure about the chip’s capacity. Could anyone tell me if this setup is feasible? And if it is, what are the key points to prevent Wi-Fi and MQTT from disrupting communication with my drivers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

aliarifat794

Re: Can esp32 s3 WROOM N8R8 does all of this ?

Postby aliarifat794 » Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:21 pm

To balance the load, you can assign tasks to different cores. For example, you can run Wi-Fi and MQTT on one core (Core 0) and handle sensor polling, LED control, and other timing-critical tasks on the other core (Core 1).

MicroController

Re: Can esp32 s3 WROOM N8R8 does all of this ?

Postby MicroController » Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:04 pm

espNewAddict wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:21 pm
Is this chip capable of handling all of this?
Yes, any ESP32 should easily handle this, even the single-cores. (Using PWM or PDM for the (2x3?) 'analog' signals for the LED strips.)

The key to avoiding timing 'disruptions' is to not do things in software which the hardware can do.